A handsome quarter length portrait of Col. John Covert of Cobourg, Ont. Ca.1829 of museum quality. The sitter is shown wearing white stock and dark coat.
John Covert was descended from the de Covert family who held the large Slaugham estate (now ruined) near Hand’s Cross in Sussex. He emigrated to Upper Canada settling on two lots in Hamilton Township near the burgeoning town of Cobourg, on lands purchased from the UEL. Col. Kerr in 1822.
The family quickly rose to prominence as the prosperity of the area developed through such farms as Covert's. By the year 1829 his graceful residence, New Lodge Farm, had been completed.
As this was also a time of political uncertainty he held the rank of Colonel in the Canadian Militia, befitting a leading member of the Cobourg area society. It is for John Covert that Covert St. in Cobourg is named.
In 1822 he sat for his (oil) portrait by Craig. Some seven years later the family commissioned this handsome pastel portrait, (again quite probably by the Toronto portrait painter John Craig ) after the oil, for another family member and as such, is a fine example of early Canadian portraiture.
In the 1837 Toronto Directory, John Craig was listed as a Portrait, Fancy, & House painter, 229 King St., Kingston Road